Tuesday 7 April 2009

Nottingham Day Out

Today Guzzisue and I met up in Nottingham for another day out before she goes back to work. Our main objective was to visit the Embroiderers Guild Samplers exhibition at the Castle Museum.
~
~
My walk from the railway station to the castle took me past this elaborate gateway just below the castle. As you may gather from the intials it is the gateway to what was the Nottingham Corporation Waterworks and dates from 1898.
~
~
This is the outer wall below the castle and all along it were doorways with the brickwork set into the surrounding natural stone.
~

~
Inside the castle museum all the windows were covered by these beautiful grills depicting trees. (I don't think I was supposed to be taking photographs!)
~
~
This beautiful gate was in the castle grounds, more of which follows below.

Posted by Picasa


9 comments:

silverpebble said...

Julie this gate grille reminds me of the moucharabia screens that Jackie at dogdaisychains posted about recently. She's making felt in this desig at the moment - interesting stuff.

How VERY exciting to have had a visit form Dilly and friends. Love the term 'not-a-bear'!

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures Julie!

Gina said...

It sounds like you had a lovely day out in Nottingham Julie. I'm pleased you enjoyed the exhibition.

Genie said...

Happy Easter Julie
some lovely pics as always.

Heather said...

What wonderful gates, doorways and windows. Nottingham looks to be a very interesting city. You've plenty of design sources to help with future projects.

sharon young said...

Great inspirational shots, julie.

DeeMom said...

so beautiful

great pictures

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Julie, I'm really sorry I haven't visited for a while, I've had a tricky week with my Dad back in hospital and also so much to catch up with since I got back! I am now glad of some time to visit you and spend some time here on your blog catching up with all your wonderful pictures and news

Have a happy Easter weekend! Carolyn :o)

Becky Mairi Farrell said...

What an amazing gate, would make a fab print.

Incidentally, have you noticed the word verifications are getting more lucid? For this comment mine is "rests". Maybe it's telling me it's time to get off the computer and go to bed!