Wednesday 14 August 2013

Festival of Quilts 2 - The Young Ones

I was a bit disappointed this year to see that the Young Quilters' and Young Embroiderers' quilts were being displayed in the far corner of Hall 9 instead of alongside the main quilt displays.  I think the idea was probably to site the quilts next to the Childrens Workshop area but they were in danger of being missed.  Happily I ventured across and was delighted by the imaginative work I saw.

Clodagh Leavy from Meath in Ireland made Happy Hot Air Balloons High in the Sky as part of the Transport theme.  I love the little houses and I love the idea of happy balloons.  (Age 9-11 category).

Another quilt from Ireland in the 9-11 age group, Travel In Style by Dora Wynne-Morgan won third prize.

The children of Mother of Fair Love Special School in Kilkenny Ireland made this prizewinning quilt with its cradle to the grave journey.  




This joyful quilt was made in my region by Rufford Primary School and is described as 'A mix of everything we can do.  Embroidery, embellishing, printing, weaving, photography......a riot of techniques, colour and materials.  We (had) fun creating it!'

Another joyful quilt with every form of transport imaginable.  (Sorry, I don't know who made it).


This wonderful shirt and the group below were inspired by Gaudi and a visit to Barcelona where the pupils of The Chase, Malvern heard how Gaudi was knocked down and killed by a tram.  Gaudi's philosophy was 'Waste nothing' and the children used recycled shirts and scrap fabrics for thier work based on the mosaics in Parc Guell.


I love the vitality and fun in all these young people's quilts.  I don't know what the young people thought about the location of their work but I for one hope they are placed in a more obvious spot next year.

8 comments:

Lis Harwood said...

Well said Julie. We can't say we want to encourage young quilters and then segregate them from the grown ups as if their work was of a different value. There were some stunning quilts by youngsters, unlimited by the rules of the quilt police!

Anonymous said...

Just love those shirts. Future quilters innovations....xox

Heather said...

It would have sad to have missed any of these delightful quilts. The art is obviously safe in the hands of the next generation. Wonderful work by such young quilters and a joy to see.

mrsnesbitt said...

Is that Rufford Primary School in Nottingham Julie? Wow - the very first school I taught in.

Maggi said...

I can't say that I have any interest in the children's quilts but I thought it was an insult to put them where they were. The first time I noticed them was late Sunday afternoon when someone commented on their placement.

Maggi said...

I can't say that I have any interest in the children's quilts but I thought it was an insult to put them where they were. The first time I noticed them was late Sunday afternoon when someone commented on their placement.

Sue Wild said...

Now I understand about the shirts. They were lovely and brightly coloured but couldn't see what they had to do with transport, thanks for the explanation

pam said...

It is lovely to see the young quilters work but I agree disappointing to have their work put in a corner. We need to encourage the youngsters they are the future.