Thursday 25 October 2012

Catching Up Again

I can't seem to keep this blog up to date lately.   The Knitting & Stitching Show is rapidly fading into the past and I havn't mananged to blog it yet so here goes.

I went to the K&S Show at Alexandra Palace on the way to my stepdaughter's Hen Weekend and was pleased that I made the effort although it was a very tiring visit with lots of people crowding the exhibition hall.  I should say the most impressive part for me was the Nancy Crow curated Colour Improvisations.  Nancy invited 26 contemporary quilt artists from around the world to make quilts improvising on the topic of colour.  The result is a vibrant and diverse exhibition of large quilts, many very different in style and many by people I have only known through the internet.  Now that I've tickled your fancy I have to own up to not having any photos as these were not allowed but I can direct you to the work of Kathleen Loomis, whose 'fine lines' have to be seen to be believed, Terry Jarrard-Dimond, Cathy Shanahan , and Jane Willoughby Scott.   The majority of the quilts were huge and thereby real statements of colour and texture.  I think I may have to obtain one of the catalogues as the notes I took in front of the works are insufficient reminders.

So, what can I show you?  



In the entrance hall to the exhibition you are greeted by The Unfinishable Project.  This whole tent is covered inside and out by people's unfinished projects and the stories connected to them along with the names of some of the artists.









I could see echoes of some of my unfinished projects here, particularly in the vintage linens.


Ann Barbara Smith was exhibiting as part of 4X4 group and I was particularly drawn to this piece with its many layers.  I cannot find a website for 4x4 so include an image of their notice at the Show.



Cas Holmes's beautiful work was again on display as it had been at Festival of Quilts.  I was pleased to have another opportunity to look at it.  While I was browsing I was delighted to hear Cas take particular time and care to advise a young textile student who had come to ask whether she could make a study of her work. 



I keep trying not to buy any more books but I think I will be buying Cas's book when I go to the Knitting & Stitching Show again(!) at Harrogate in November.  I love her combination of vintage linens with layers and surface stitching.


This stand was launching the new book by Alice Kettle and Jane McKeating.


The book above is by Jane McKeating and titled 'Transitions'.


A detail from the exhibition title.


Not sure who this is by but it's titled 'Three hundred years of French Architecture'.

Talking of France I have to show you the wonderful carpets, yes, carpets, of John Allen.



These are carpets for the wall and are woven in Nepal having been designed by John Allen in London.  Their colours are vibrant yet calming.  I believe they will be travelling to each of the K&S venues so there is chance to see them in Dublin and Harrogate.

I think that's enough for now ;-)  I'm really pleased that I will be going to Harrogate next month as there was a lot to absorb in the short time I was at Ally Pally and it will be good to have another look.  Sadly I don't think the Nancy Crow exhibition will be going there but you can, I think,  see it in Dublin.

8 comments:

sweetypie said...

hmm, I think I need those books too.
not sure I will survive half term and no kitchen/cooking for 10,slow cooker and barbque may have to come out...

Angela said...

Thanks for the pictures of the show. I wasn't able to get to Ally Pally but I'm looking forward to Harrogate. I'm going to check out some of the links you've put on.

Heather said...

Such a variety of techniques and skills - a joy to the eye. I love the Unfinishable project and imagine that it generated a great deal of inspiration.
The Long Man of Wilmington carpet design caught my eye - he's on the South Downs in Sussex and I walked up right beside him with my father when I was about 9 or 10.
Cas Holmes book is wonderful.

The Crafty Mugwump said...

Great post, thanks for all the links. This was going to be the year for not attending any of the big shows, somehow it has made me feel that I've missed an awful lot of good stuff. I might just have to make the effort for Harrogate!

Anonymous said...

Eyepopping amounts of good stuff and I am sure you barely scratched the surface. Cas Holmes is one of my faves and I did buy her book...xox

Clare Wassermann said...

I am so sorry I missed it this year. I am very glad you have enjoyed it so much and thank you for showing us all some glimpses! x

ju-north said...

As interesting and informative as ever!

Margaret Cooter said...

Thanks for the reminder of the handstitch exhibition - I didn't buy the book(s) there but will add them to my wish list!