Wednesday 17 August 2011

FOQ 2


Thanks to Linda who blogs as Blue Eyed Girl I have made the above mosaic using a programme called Photoscape. Many thanks Linda, I shall have some fun with it :-)


I've seen a few blogs saying that they thought the festival was quieter than usual, maybe because of the financial situation worldwide and the unfortunate social unrest in the preceding days.  That may be so but the aisles appeared to be thronging to me and I heard a good selection of international voices including some American, French, German, East European, Dutch and Irish.  I do love the international flavour of this exhibition and the music of tongues other than my own.


Saturday morning the Rise and Shine Breakfast was held by my Region 10 of the Quilter's'Guild and was well attended with everyone enjoying a selection of demonstrations and hands on mini projects and a gae of quilt bingo! 


The tombola themed on 'Put 'Em Ins' attracted constant attention throughout the 4 days and was a great success.  I won a fabric bowl and a little box that I think is probably supposed to hold a cotton reel but I used it for my small change!



The detail shown above comes from a quilt called 'Yellow Roses' by Margit Nenning from Austria.  Margit describes it as a 'Memory quilt, old bedclothes of my mother,aunt,friends and myself, sewn with traditional stars in a contemporary way'.  It rang a chord with me as I am full of thoughts of using the linens I have from mum and Grace.  The textiles are mostly old white cotton fabrics and old embroidery from the Voralberg area of Austria.  Margit won the Contemporary Large Amateur award at FOQ 2008. (page 16)


Gillian Cooper's installation has been shown on several other blogs and was very striking.  Perversely what I liked as much as the figures was the depiction of clouds on the sheer fabrics.


This is just a small part of a Guinness Book of Records entry by a group of international quilters (I think) which was over 6 metres in length.  Very stupidly I didn't write down the details so I'll just have to leave you to enjoy the quirky houses.  The quilt has successfully been accepted for the Guinness Book of Records.


This jolly helter skelter was made by Luke Daymond for the age 12-16 age group.  Sadly it didn't win a prize despite the fact that Luke did everything himself and also included lights that worked.  The quilt was made under the title 'All the fun of the Fair'.


I love Gannets for their beauitufl plummets into the water and so I couldn't help but like this entry in the Miniature Quilts by Sandra Wyman


I've been told I have to include my own quilt so here it is with the proud artist alongside.  My quilt arrived back with me this morning along with the judge's comments and I'm pleased to say they were kind to me.  I've been blowing my trumpet on Facebook so I'll show you the judge's comments in case you've never seen what they look for:


Between 'excellent' on the one hand and 'good' on the other I am more than happy with the comments and I'm beginning to see my quilt with fresh eyes.

Yet again I'm having trouble with Blogger and with my browser so I'll be back later with a little more.


19 comments:

Maggi said...

I love to read about everyone's experience of FOQ. We all have such a different take on it. It's sometimes like being at a different festival. You are quite right to be proud of your entry, it was lovely. Forgot all about the rise and shine breakfast but believe that it sold out quite quickly anyway.

Heather said...

Fascinating post Julie and lovely to see you beside your beautiful quilt - of course the judges liked it. More wonderful and varied works and I was amazed to learn that the helter-skelter quilt was made by such a young person and a boy at that. It is so nice to be able to enjoy a quilt show and not end up with aching legs and feet! Many thanks.

Sandra Wyman said...

Really enjoyed this post Julie and it's great to see you getting some of the recognition you deserve!

rupr said...

Regarding this house quilt, that is in Guinness Book of Records: it was made in Czech Republic. We are small country, but there is a lot of quilters and I donot think, that it is international. More about it on this blog, it is in Czech, but there is picture from first presentation of finished quilt.

Clare Wassermann said...

Hey well done you! also it was lovely to meet you....it certainly was not quiet on the Thursday was it !!!!

pam said...

Well done those comments from the judges were really good. We found the exhibition quieter on Sunday but still busy enough!!!

Julie said...

Hi Rupr. Thank you for putting me right about the house quilt. It was magnificent and was attracting a lot of attention. I'm sorry but I could not find the blog you were referring to in your somment.

Wendy said...

Those are wonderful score sheets, well done. Your quilt was one of my favorties, I have good taste :)

Emma said...

Really good quilt post with all the links, too. Thanks for adding the ephemera/linen one, lovey subtle layers. You should be proud to include yours, must have been great to be part of it all.

sweetypie said...

lovely quilt jules!!!!

Heather said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog Julie. My address is Heather Martin, 22 Malvern Drive, Thornbury, Bristol, BS35 2HY. I have a project on the back burner which will include antique-ing paper, lace and cloth, so the inclusion of one of those doilies will be ideal. Many thanks.

ju-north said...

Congrats on your quilt - you'll be giving talks next!!

Evelyn ~ Indigo Beach Art said...

Lovely photos from the Festival of Quilts !!

essay said...

very beautiful!

Linda Vincent said...

Julie...your FoQ posts are both wonderful. You give a great insight into what it felt like to be there. I remember Maggi was also very taken with the Regina Benson pieces (I tried...but don't really know much about 'discharge' ;-) )
Your own quilt is absolutely lovely ....even better in real life. I'm so glad we were able to meet up.

Glad too that you're enjoying using Photoscape :-)

Gillian Cooper said...

Thanks for including my work in your summary. It's fun to see what others saw at the Festival of Quilts as I saw so little this year. Many people liked the cloud/wave pieces which is great as I was less sure of them
Gillian

Clare Wassermann said...

I like your QR scanner thingy - how did you get that?

Anonymous said...

Really enjoying all the lovely images and well done on the judges' positive comments for your quilt!

Unknown said...

It looked great!!!! Such a pity we missed each other again.