Wednesday 21 October 2009

Flowers and a Gift

For the past few months I have been involved in a Flower inspired book pages swap at the Yahoo group MixedMediaATC_UK and we have now just about reached the end. The final 2 pages are for the front cover and its reverse side. However the two pages I have made will not necessarily go to the same person.



For this first page I made the base fabric by free machining over chopped fabric and waste thread from other projects which I had sandwiched between water soluble membrane. I then stabilised the base by backing it on some painted cotton and handsewed the flower in yarns, finishing off with beads. This is intended to form the reverse of the front cover.




For the front cover I used a piece of my own handpainted fabric which I had already coincidentally used as a practice piece for some flowery shaped free machining. I then added some free machined plant stems and leaves, handstitched leaves and beading. Fingers crossed the eventual recipient will like it. Once everyone has their cover and inside pages the idea is to construct the book and have a show and tell at the group. I am hoping to make 2 more pages of my own to include in the book. I should be making the back cover and its reverse but I have a lovely page from Annette which I am going to use for the back cover. (The second page in her post).




I have had the pleasure of meeting another blogger this week and what a pleasure it was too! The wonderful book and art doll above were a generous gift from Wendy who blogs as Emmelinesplace. The lovely paper in the photo above with the script is tissue paper which you can apparently buy in Lakeland Plastics. I have an idea to scan this and then print it onto fabric. Hopefully I won't get done for copyright if it is only for my use.



I have to show you in detail the beautiful brooch which Wendy made for me. Isn't it beautiful? Thank you so much, Wendy for your generosity, not to mention the great chat we had. We met up at 11.00 and chatted away for 5 hours, would you believe!!? Luckily Wendy lives near me so I think we will be having some lovely creative time together in the future. That's if we can stop talking long enough :o)))

~

Before I forget, don't forget to watch the new creative series being broadcast on Sky TV Channel 171 for a 10 week period which is showcasing some of our well known textile artists. If you don't have Sky you can watch the programmes online. The details are here. The series started last week but you can catch up online.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Gina said...

Especially like the front cover Julie.

Wendy said...

Occasionally we meet someone who we instantly know are alike enough that we will understand each other, yet different enough that we won't compete and can become real friends. After 5 hours chatting, (and it could easily have been 10 and we still wouldn't have said everything), I think we may get along very well :)

p.s. The fabric page with the orange is delightful.