Tuesday 7 April 2009


~

These few people enjoying the gardens belie the fact that the Castle was very busy today with families enjoying the exhibitions as the children are on their Easter break.

~

~

After we left the Castle Sue took me for a wander across the city to the old Lace Market area, unfortunately there is no longer a working lace industry here. The Big Wheel is in town but I can assure you we didn't go on it! Sue took pity on my attack of nerves!

~

~

This beautiful building with its modern metal sculptures is in the Lace Market area. The sculpture on the front of the building resembles folded fabric and even had swaying frayed ends at the top.

~


~

The very subtle lace pattern in the photograph above is imprinted on the side of an innovative building near the Courts of Justice. The building is not yet completed and will open in the Autumn as an Arts Centre. While I have said innovative I have to say that the building, in my humble opinion, looks out of place and unattractive in its setting among beautiful period buildings. Maybe it will look different when it is completed and its roof garden in place. (You can read more about the lace pattern here - thank you to Guzzisue for the link).

~

Nottingham is a vibrant and very historic city and I have had an excellent guide in Sue again today. Thank you , Sue for a lovely day!
~
PS I should have said, the embroidery exhibition was really enjoyable. I didn't take any photographs as the light was low but you can see photographs of some of the exhibits on Gina's blog. The Samplers were exquisite, especially the ones made by children as young as 6 years old which dated from the 17th century. The stitching was immaculate and far more regular than I could manage or even see! I wonder how many 6 year olds today could be expected to produce such work? (No doubt the 6 year olds concerned would rather having been running around and playing in their day).

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Maggi said...

Inspirational photos.

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

It must have been lovely to see the lace samplers. I would love to visit Nottingham, maybe one day! I always enjoy your descriptions of your days out. Thanks, Julie x