Tuesday 3 February 2009

Snow Dyeing

While I was blog-surfing last night something rang a bell and reminded me that some people have been known to use the snow to dye with. As we have an abundance of the white stuff at the moment I thought I would have a play today. I was a bit worried that the snow wasn't gpoing to last as it was thawing last night but there was still plenty about this morning.

~


~

The first step was to wet several pieces of fabric, soak them in a solution of bleachfree washing soda and wring them out. I then lay them in a plastic box on top of some supports so that they wouldn't rest in the pooled dye water as the snow melted.

~



~

Once I had mixed the dyes I wanted (Procion MX dyes in turquoise, magenta and golden yellow) I took the box out into the garden and loaded it with snow.

~


~

The next step was to trickle the dye alternately over the surface of the snow.

~



Posted by Picasa


No comments: