Tuesday 12 August 2008

Mile a Minute

A couple of days ago I said I would post some details of how to go about making a "mile a minute" patchwork block. I can't pretend that this is a tutorial as I am not a patchworker and I have only done this the once (well, twice if you count making this post) but I will just describe how we did it.
~
The first step is to cut your fabric into strips. The beauty of this method is that there are no rules, no measurements to worry about except making sure you have a minimum seam allowance of 1/8th inch. You don't have to worry about cuttuing in a straight line particularly, the blocks look great if the angles are all different. Variety is the spice of life!
~

OK. Take your first strip and cut that into sections, say 1.5 to 2 inches wide. Take a second strip and sew the small blocks to it as shown below.


Place the stitched strip on the ironing board wrong side down and press the full strip up, then cut through the strip as shown below, using the line from the original block.


Take the block of 2 pieces and stitch that to a new strip and repeat the ironing and cutting (Are you with me so far?)


The photograph below shows you the ironing process when the fifth strip has been machined.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

DILLY said...

Julie be sooooooo clever!