Wednesday, 13 August 2008

Mamma Mia! I did it!



Posted by Picasa

Yay! I finally got to see Mamma Mia! What a fantastic film! It definitely lived up to all the publicity and to everyone's enthusiasm. It had everything! Abba music, beautiful scenery, colourful (and how) costumes and backdrops, Colin Firth (!), a great spirit, lots of laughs a few tears (from me - what a softie!) and a happy ending! Magic! I can't wait to see it again.
~
I didn't think I would be able to do it but your faith and encouragement spurred me on and........I did it! The mile a minute bag is finished! Just in time for the Festival of Quilts!

What do you think? This is the first bag I've ever made. If I tell you the blocks are approx. 4 inches square you will have a rough idea of the size. I had the option of backing it with Timtex but I chose to use a lightweight wadding type fabric for the interlining as it would be easier to sew (apparently). I think another time I would use a stiffer lining as it's very floppy. The actual lining is a lovely bright red from the fabric I dyed last week.
~
I am absolutely delighted (and exhausted!) to have completed this project in a week so I will be showing it off tomorrow ;o)). If you're going to the Festival of Quilts have a great time. I'll be back with lots of pics!!
~
Have you noticed there are a lot of exclamation marks in this post? I think I'm a bit excited!!!!!
~
PS Apologies to Gina for "borrowing" her Mamma Mia picture.

15 comments:

Gina said...

No problem... I borrowed it from Google! So pleased you enjoyed the film. I've seen it twice and loved it. "Winner takes it all" raised a tear from me... and the Mum/daughter getting ready bit. Guess I'm a softie too! But mostly it was laugh out loud funny - so joyous!
Your bag is fantastic - definitely worthy of a day at FOQ - have fun and don't spend too much.
Gina x

Helena said...

I love it! Oh wow, what a lot of work! Will you be able to use it? I'd be scared of using anything I made in case I ruined it. Or lost it.

:^)

sharon young said...

What a lovely bag, Julie, fantastic bright sunshine colours! I wish I was going tomorrow as well as Friday.
Have a great day.

DILLY said...

Ohhh hav luvly flower on too!

Dilly like!

¬"

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Ooo aLOT ov Bears cud fit inside that bag!!!

If yu hav time, pop over to my blog today- charnse to win a prize!!!

Guzzisue said...

looks great!! knew you would finish it in time, have a great time at the show, I'm heading down on Saturday.

Lesley said...

I knew you'd finish it :)

Your bag is beautiful Julie and will be perfect for all that shopping at the Festival of Quilts!!

xxx

silverpebble said...

Your bag is lovely - I'm in awe of anyone who makes something so functional but pretty too.

Very envious of you seeing Mamma Mia - I don't get out much nowadays because tiny pebble wont take a bottle! Arrgh. Glad you had such a lovely time.

Genie said...

Lovely bag, have a grt time at the quilt show and say Hi to everyone, I see quite a few of you bloggers are going. look forward to seeing pics.

artisbliss said...

What a wonderful bag, good for you! Won't you look stylish with that over your shoulder. The little flower just sets it off.

Glad you enjoyed the movie, too.

Lucy Locket-Pocket said...

Your bag is amazing but I'm incredibly jealous that you and it are going to the Festival of Quilts!!!

So glad you loved Mamma Mia - it's really fun isn't it? I've seen it twice already and can't wait to go again!

Lucy x

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Mummy haz since sed that the bag is ownly abowt 8 inches big, but that's ok, I'm an 8 inch Bear!

Julie said...

b.t.bear (esq) - Hi Bob! Mummy's right, you wouldn't get lost in the bag. Maybe I should take some of my beary friends with me when I go to the FOQ. Do you think they'd get dizzy swinging about in a bag?

Dot said...

I am enjoying catching up on your blog Julie and seeing so much color! I think you have done an amazing job on your firsst bag. And the colors are so vibrant and bright too.

Dot said...

P.S I have seen the movie Mama Mia three times and loved it more each time. And one can NEVER have too much of the delectable Colin Firth :)