Monday 21 April 2008

Picking up the threads

Hello All! I'm back but I can't seem to concentrate on getting back to blogging. Don't get me wrong, I've been catching up on reading everyone's posts since we went away but everytime I think I will take up the blogging baton again I look at the clock and it's bedtime. Needless to say, I have loads of photos to show you so I will set to tomorrow (I hope!). I need to catch up too on the lovely day out I had in Thriplow before we went away. Unfortunately Blogger (or my laptop) is having a sulk tonight and freezes up every time I try to upload a photo. Has anyone else had this problem? It was acting up before I went away too. Anyway, I've resorted to Picasa and have at least managed to get some pics up now.
In my original posting about Thriplow I included a photograph of the village smithy which was working on the Daffodil Weekend. The smithy, or Blacksmith's, would manufacture metalwork for the community and the main tool for this was the fire which you can see in the photo above.

The village has a beautiful church which was staging a Flower Festival on the day along with demonstrations of organ music and bellringing. The church has some beautiful paintings on the roof and in the window embrasures. The exact age of all these paintings is not known.

The quality of these photos is a little blurry as I chose not to use flash but I think you can get the general idea. At one time all churches had lavishly painted walls as this was the only way of getting the message to the people, many of whom could not read.
Posted by Picasa
Apparently Picasa will only load 4 pics at a time so I will continue in a separate post.

1 comment:

sharon young said...

Hi Julie
Good to have you back in Blogland, and it's lovely to see your pics, the church window looks gorgeous, i wish I could see the triptych in the flesh.
Thank you for your lovely comment on my commission post.