I've still got some pics to post from Yorkshire and also from a day out this week but I just had to tell you!!! Woo hoo! I did some Free Machine Embroidery today!!!! Yay! Jumping up and down here in Lincolnshire doing the Happy Dance!!! LOL OK so it's not that big a deal but I've never managed to do it before and my friend and Saturday workshop leader showed me how today at our monthly workshop. Course, it may have helped that I had the correct foot on my sewing machine!
Right, now don't get too excited, but I'll show you my first effort ever. No, I mean, really, don't get too excited!
It's a bit messy but I was just pleased that I managed to control the machine and move the fabric around and get the feel of the movement. I obviously need lots of practice but at least I've started.
A bit messy again but I wasn't following any lines. Just one question.........how do you get the dot on the "i"?
This morning, before the adventure with the sewing machine, I did some printing from collagraph plates which I have written about previously. I took prints onto cartridge paper, newsprint and cotton fabric. Now that I have made a start with FME I can try some stitching on the fabric prints.
Sample printing block above.
This is my messy work area with the inked block and a cotton fabric laid on top.
These prints were all on fabric, I think.
These prints were done onto newsprint and cotton fabric.
None of these prints is wonderful but I had a lot of fun and they can be added to with colour washes. Look out! Portions may be appearing on an ATC near you!
You may be wondering what materials I used to make the printing blocks. I used all sorts of things, nappy liner torn in strips, string, elastic(rubber) bands, wallpaper, pieces of plastic store cards, doillies, punchinella, polystyrene strips, tissue paper, coarse pumice texture paste, sliced cork, clingfilm (saran wrap), corrugated cardboard............ I particularly liked the texture given by the torn nappy liner and the pumice paste, and also by the polystyrene strips on the piece that looks vaguely like a seascape (well, that was the idea anyway!) :)
By the way.........I cheated with the FME...........the fossil shape was pre-printed on the fabric. I just had to follow the shape. Mwahahaha!