Sunday 4 November 2007

Feeling my age!

I think I must have left my head in Skegness yesterday. My eyes feel like pinholes and there's a definite slur in my head - and that's without any alcohol! The reason? We had an absolutely A C E time last night watching, and singing along with, The Searchers at Skegness. They certainly know how to work their audience!

Ok I'll start at the beginning. Despite their both feeling awful with coughs and colds, our friends G and B took us to Skegness yesterday afternoon. We had a lovely drive over enjoying the late afternoon sunshine and the still gorgeous autumn colours.

This threatening looking sky passed us by without dumping on us and we got to Skeg just in time to get a great meal before the restaurant, The Windsor, closed. if you're ever in Skegness you can trust this restaurant for excellent food and good service at reasonable prices - and they do a wicked lemon meringue pie. Ask me how I know! Yum!!!! When we came out of the restaurant the illuminations were lit up, luckily they were due to finish at the end of half term but were still on.



This is the renowned Clock Tower at Skeggy.

These girls were having a great time - check out the platform shoes!

We had time for a bit of a stroll to walk our tea off and then presented ourselves at the theatre in time for the start at 7.30. I have never seen The Searchers live before but they were excellent. Very friendly and chatty with the audience. They are just at the start of a very punishing tour running into next year. I think I sang myself hoarse! And there was lots of arm waving and clapping along! Great fun and good for the endorphins. We even managed a jig at the end (pity the poor people behind who didn't stand up. Needless to say I'm a bit stiff today but it was worth it! I must learn to whistle loudly properly, it seems much easier than shouting at the top of your voice and going "Whoo whoo ooh" *LOL* They played a very varied programme with all their hits, Needles and Pins, Everytime that you walk in the Room, Sweets for my Sweet, and also quite a few covers. It was nearly my undoing tho when they sang "You'll never Walk Alone". It doesn't have any soccer connotations for me but it is a very special song and brings back memories I was surprised at the end as they said they would come out to the foyer and sign CDs and such. As you may expect there was quite a crush but eventually (cos we waited, sad or what?) My friend G and I got to the front of the queue, in fact we were the end of the queue, and did the groupie thing :o))

and,yes, we got their autographs too! So, if they turn up at a theatre near you and you fancy a great night out with a bit of bopping and lots of singing along give it a whirl. They rock!






6 comments:

Guzzisue said...

Looks like you had a great time:)

Susan D said...

What a great time you all had and how great they came to see their fans. I can't see many of today's groups doing that, but there again they are from Liverpool aren't they and we chat to anyone. BTW love the illuminations.

Susan D said...

If you go to http://www.the-searchers.co.uk/ there are some You Tube videos of their songs. They've stood the test of time haven't they.

Kate Henderson said...

Thanks Julie for putting my thank you ATC on your site, I didn't expect that. I think your art work is lovely, and I can't wait to see what you do with DH's photos. You really are a prolific blogger - I can't ever seem to find enough time in the day to do all the things I want, and blog as well. You site is always really interesting, I must visit more regularly. I will be sending you my 4 elements cards this week.

Purple Missus said...

Sounds like you had a whale of a time Julie. I was reading your blog when Steve (the lad from work) came in my office and said 'who?' when I mentioned the Searchers!!!
Made me feel quite ancient - I remember them well, very well *LOL*

mrsnesbitt said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Great night eh! So much so now having a night off with your horlicks and slippers! Rock on sister!

LOL!
Dxx