Monday 4 February 2013

International Quilt Challenge

The latest theme for the International Quilt Challenge Group has been 'Reflection' or any variation thereof.  I last showed you it a couple of weeks ago when I was trying to decide how to quilt it.  Since then I have got to grips with said quilting and the piece is now finished, having skidded past the deadline by 6 days (oops!).






Thank you for the advice I was given in my last post, it did help with the decision making.  I decided not to add in any more 'field' boundaries in the hope that the quilting would make the brown lines less obvious.  I think I've just about got away with it.





This detail shows the area towards the top.  I made the 'field boundaries' towards the top darker to give the idea that they are in the distance.  The binding was made from the same strips as are in the quilt.  

My interpretation of 'Reflection' comes from reflecting on this area of Cornwall which is close to St Ives which is always in our thoughts when we are not there.  The wallhanging is also going to serve as my entry for the Sue Ridgwell Challenge at the AGM of the Quilters Guild of the British Isles in April under the theme 'My World is Green'.  I just need to add the sleeve and label.  The dimensions are 24" x 24".

12 comments:

Heather said...

I love the soft flowing lines of your design and the colours of the fabrics are gorgeous.

Maggi said...

Lovely Julie. The quilting really enhances the rolling countryside. Love the colours that you have used.

Anonymous said...

Love this moving energy of your land and sea.....great job Julie. xox

liniecat said...

So striking, love the colours : )

Clare Wassermann said...

I think it's really evocative and fresh. Lovely quilting too x

Sandra Wyman said...

Love this, Julie - the colours are beautiful...

Amanda said...

Fabulous Julie! It looks brilliant.

sharon young said...

What a lovely evocative quilt, it really does give that feeling of rhythm when you see English countryside from the top of a hill. I love the changing colours from light to dark, it reminds me of shadows over the landscape.

Deborah OHare said...

Looking good Julie! My info says that it has to be delivered by 29th March!
I have just double checked that on the Quild's website.

Unknown said...

Kudos! Love the feeling of movement, rolling countryside, and the colors are marvelous.

Gina said...

It's very effective Julie - looks great!

Linda Vincent said...

This is fantastic....beautiful!
I am very impressed.... xx