Tuesday 25 October 2011

Roman Blinds 2

Thank you for your comments yesterday, I still have a few to reply to by email but as ever I do appreciate you taking the time to comment.  As I've been busy trying out arrangements today i thought I'd get on and show you what I've been doing.

Yestrday evening I trimmed all the blocks to 8" squares.  Sadly I had my opinion that I am not a traditional quilter reinforced as one set was slightly wonky so if anyone has a serious perfection gene please look away ;-)


As you can see I cut off the timiest slivers from each side to square the blocks up.  Ideally the 45 degree angle should lay along the diagonal stitch line but I was adrift on a few.

Having trimmed all the squares up I then had a play with potential layouts.

First of all a basic layout (excuse the untidy and scruffy bedroom)


This keeps the 7 designs in their straight lines.  Did you spot the deliberate mistake How did I miss that!

Layout 2, still in design lines but with what I call windmills.


Layout 3, diamonds.


Layout 4, Flying Geese.


Layout 5, a central star with blocks still in a uniform design arrangement.


Layout 6, central star with the blocks mixed up a bit.



And finally, layout 7 with the blocks mixed up and a small adjustment made to the arrangement compared to layout 6.


I don't think there's a lot to choose between 6 and 7.  I don't like layout 1 or 4 but I do like 5 and 7.  Because there are 6 rows and 7 designs of block you could play forever to balance the blocks so that you don't get obvious duplicates throughout.

I have pinned together in rows the blocks from layout 7 but I am not going to sew them yet as I have to decide whether to add sashing anywhere and I also need to select fabrics for borders to make the quilt big enough for a bed.  I may yet change my mind about the layout too!

17 comments:

Terri said...

Boy! You do have choices. I love your color choices. Yummy.
Hugs!

Timaree said...

I prefer the windmills but the central star is good too. Love the colors! And it's good to see you so enthused.

jan said...

They look good,look forward to seeing it when you've finished it.

Heather said...

I don't do perfection. Is it the Amish people who make a deliberate mistake in their quilts because only God is perfect?
I love the colours in this quilt and the layouts are all lovely. I would have a job choosing just one but did like the last three. Whichever one you decide on, it's going to be a beautiful quilt.

Maggi said...

Decisions, decisions. Lots of lovely choices and who cares about wonky anyway.

Gina said...

Such lovely colours all the layouts look good although I rather like no. three.

Ro Bruhn said...

What a beautiful piece of art you're creating, like the others, I would find it hard to choose.

Amanda said...

Lovely fresh colours and lots of potential for showing off quilting! Looking forward to seeing the result.

Angela said...

I like the diamonds but think they are all nice. I love your choice of colours.

quilthexle said...

I too like the diamonds - but I'm sure whatever you decide, it will become a lovely quilt!

Beverley said...

The colours are so lovely that any of the layouts will be perfect.
Bev.

Anonymous said...

They all look fantastic to me but I like 5 and 7 too! Beautiful work. xox Corrine

sweetypie said...

I like 5 and 7 best, compulsive, isnt it.

pam said...

I love the diamonds - although all the different variations look good - can't wait to see the finished article.

Trudi said...

Wow! This really touched a nerve for you! I'm thrilled to see you embrace a little traditional but feel sure that there will be a twist in the end :) And i LOVE your cushion too!

Lesslie Mathew said...

Absolutely so gorgeous roman blinds.Though not much color to choose from but i liked the 5th one most as its vibrant and pretty different from rest...thanks for such lovely art like designed blinds.

Julie said...

Thank you Heather, Ro and Lsslie (hope I didn't miss anyone who is no-reply). I still have quite a bit of thinking and planning to do before I make up this top and I'm going to a quilt show on Saturday to look for some co-ordinating fabric for the borders. Wish me luck!