I have been to my art group this morning and took some printouts of the quilt top with me and had a play at chopping it up and rearranging it. Sandra Wyman had suggested that I cut the strips to different widths so I experimented with that. Thank you Sandra, it was a good idea.
So, first of all I tried the cut strips arranged with the middle sky strip pushed higher than the other two. No, not so keen on that.
Then I tried cutting it into 4 strips of various widths. I definitely prefer this arrangement to the original 3 strips and the varying widths is more appealing too.
Finally I cut 4 uneven strips and flipped two over. I think this is the one I am going to go with! I am really excited by it as you can still see that it is about the sea but it makes you look further. Soooooo, the next step is to make some samples to sort out what colour threads I should use for the eventual quilting.
Funnily enough, I feel less worried about the quilting now that I have made my mind up to cut it up. It feels less precious somehow.
Thank you all for your comments. It's wonderful to be able to share your creative problems and get advice so quickly.