I’ve reached the end of my dyeing escapade and have now overdyed the fabrics that weren’t quite so successful in my last post on the subject.
First of all, I had bought some cotton velvet from Barnyarns to have a play with and used some of the reds and oranges and then blues to dye 2 pieces.
This gorgeous red above is wonderfully vibrant and the dye has taken really well. My only slip up was to wash the fabric in hot water before I dyed it and I managed to shrink it!
This wonderful blue has some beautiful turquoise tints which my computer cannot quite manage to show in its true colour but it is beautiful.
This piece above and the following pieces were all dyed in the layered tub and you need to picture a warmer, browner hue as I have not been successful in getting the right colour on the computer. The marks are wonderful though!
The piece on the right above is linen and I really love the way this has taken the dye. The slubs in the linen give some lovely highlights.
This is a piece of a shirt which I overdyed and the colour is really vibrant.
Finally I overdyed the 2 quilts I had made previously. The Journal Quilt for the Contemporary Quilt Group looks very different now and not much of the original colour remains. I have called it ‘Fiori’ after a glimpse of a t-shirt I used.
The second piece is the challenge quilt and more of the original colourway is visible here:
The light areas that show in the photograph are not so prominent in real life. They come from netting and a synthetic mix fabric that I used in the original weaving. I’ve shown the quilt horizontally because I am thinking of making it into a sketchbook cover after the challenge deadline. I am very tempted to add beads too but may not have time before Thursday the reveal day. Oops! I’ve revealed already! Sorry Tina!
I’ve enjoyed the dyeing and will be doing some more but I have to sort my workroom out and get it warmed up before I do anymore as I can’t keep using the conservatory.
I have to tell you about my best friend’s daughter who recently began working as a designer with Makower who make fabrics for patchworkers and quilters. A couple of days ago her Mum brought round a sample of her first design for the company and I have managed to track it down on the Makower website. As you can see from the photo above (which I borrowed from the website, oops!) it is all about farm animals and has some charming details to it. I already have a nightdress and some mugs that Michelle had designed previously and I would love to be able to make something for my new nephew/niece from some of these fabrics. If you click here you will be able to see the full range of fabrics Michelle has designed. They should be in the shops anytime. There are three pages of the different designs. I have been looking online but haven’t tracked them down yet but I shall keep looking.