As promised, I must show you the star postcards I received at the end of the week from my friends at MixedMediaATC_UK.
This first one is from Becky and is made from embellished (needle felted) fibres. There are some lovely textures in this card.
This second card is in mixed media and I am very intrigued by some of the effects.
Finally, this fabric card is from Liz and is lovely. The photograph does not show the material very well and the base fabric has an irridescent sheen. Liz has used a heat tool to burn thro the top layer and in some places right thro all the layers. The stars are made of foil trapped under net.
I spent yesterday working on the Take it Further Challenge. When I first sat down at the embellisher my mind went completely blank and I couldn't even think how to start! I know I'm new to embellishing but even so! Anyway, I decided to start with a base of fabrics like scrim, organza and chiffon which I could then embellish thro from the back if necessary and then to top this off with various wool fibres.
As you can see I have cut the base fabric larger than the 6x6" format of the finished piece to allow for shrinkage and I've also roughly marked the spacings for the various parts of the seascape. The pic above shows the first stage with wool fibres on top of base fabrics.
Similarly the distant shore was put in with base fabrics topped by wool fibres.
At this stage I had put in the distant shoreline and embellished both from the front and the back.
As you can see I forgot to take any photos during the remainder of the embellishing, but I followed the same procedure of layering fabrics and wool fibres. The foreground layer also includes some angelina. I think that the distant land and the shoreline need some adjustment as the land is too deep and I think the shoreline also needs to be thinner. I would like to get more light into the cloudscape and into the area of foreshore in the bottom third of the image and maybe a little more depth to the sea. The area of shore/vegetation in the foreground is still slightly diagonal altho I had intended to make this more horizontal, but I think it is in fact working. Now I have to decide whether to include some stitchwork and maybe bead and other embellishment to the foreground. Help! The next challenge starts in 3 days! (make that 5 days! I thought there were 29 days in this month! Oops!)